Wednesday, October 15, 2008

"The King is in the Castle!"

"Countries with monarchs fly the royal flag over the palace when the king is in residence, and the hurry and scurry of servants' feet can be heard throughout the castle during his stay. Adopting this attitude and this approach (have your kids join you!) will help you pamper and love your king when he arrives home." (Elizabeth George, A Woman After God's Own Heart)

If you are anything like me, you read this and say, "yeah, right." I have just had a day full of babies spitting up, dirty diapers and clothes, toddlers racking up the laundry as they "forget to use the toilet," milk cups left in all corners of the house, snack bowls spilt on the living room carpet, and toys strewn all over. That was just today, and I only have two darlings. So why did I not stay on top of it and get it all picked up? I did have all day, right? Well, minus the "hold me, mommy!" moments, stopping the crawler from chewing on the electric cord, helping the toddler change her wet pants, filling milk cups, breaking up the hair pulling fights (yes, already), and sitting "guard" while they fall asleep at nap. Let's add washing the tons of dirty laundry, washing all of the dishes, helping to change wet pants, and somehow finding time to eat, drink, and take care of any personal issues....you get the picture.

So how in the world are we supposed to have the place looking like a castle, and not like the aftermath of hurricane Katrina? Girls, it isn't easy. You just gotta let that Proverbs 31 woman in you shine. Here is what I do, maybe it'll help you. I try to make a run through about an hour before my beloved comes home. Here are some tips:

1) Designate a pretty little basket in the corner of your living room for toys. Have the kids gather them all up and place them there right before Daddy comes home. Every few days, take the basket and dump it in the kids' room.
2) Put all of the kids' dishes in a lower cabinet. When you empty the dishwasher or drying rack let the kids put their own dishes away. They can also pick up their own laundry and take it to the hamper. They can start this as young as 2 yrs!
3) Make your bed. Honestly, it doesn't take very long, and it does wonders for your room.
4) Gather all oddball things and find a place for them. Remember, you can rearrange on a better day!
5) Clear the table, and even set it for dinner if you have time!
6) Run a brush through your tangles, brush your daughters' hair. Clean any runny noses or chocolaty faces. Change the babies clothes if needed.
7) Put on a smile (even if it's fake! You'll be surprised it works!) and open up your arms for a hug when that man that you love walks in the door.

Sometimes it isn't easy, but these little things really will communicate to him that you are trying your best and that you love him! So, now that I am done writing this....it is off to the upstairs to try to walk what I talk! Wish me luck!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what great advice Nicole, you are a good writer!! I love you:)

Marylou said...

Gee, is it too late for me?? LOL Well written, Nicole! And sometimes I actually got there! I am so blessed to have a King who loves me inspite of my short comings, but I always admired my mom who did accomplish this. We sure tried when all 7 were home, and we did do a formal tyupe dinner almost every night and so I guess though I failed often, we tried.